Akelos Framework v1 forum archive. This forum is no longer maintained. To report bugs please visit https://github.com/akelos/akelos/issues
    •  
      CommentAuthorjanogarcia

Hola,

I think that many people could benefit from more screencasts in the near future. Is there any plan of releasing new ones on a "regular basis" (sorry for being so demanding!)?

This kind of visual learning / aid is an invaluable resource for those (like me :) ) who prefer to watch an introductory guided tutorial instead of skim reading through the docs with no clear direction. They allow to show you the whole picture, later you'll have time to study the details on the docs. Maybe helping to spread the word faster.

I think they are always a good asset, together with a good documentation (sadly, being many times the weakest part of many OS projects). Plus it could help to set appart this project from the rest.

Just, my opinion.

But I know that it can be a bandwidth cost issue...Would it be possible to use a free video streaming service with enough quality for this type of content? You know, most of them blur the text on screen compleletely, making the video prettty useless...

Jano.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjayro

If it's a $$ issue, I would be interested in helping out in whatever way i can be it bandwidth, or cash.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbermi

Hi Jano,

I'm glad you found it useful.

We are thinking about making more video tutorials once we have the new API site and the Manual ready.

Regarding bandwidth costs, thanks for your offering, but we are using Amazon S3, so it is costing us just 0'0075 US$ each video streaming (40MB), Thats 75 US$ each 10.000 downloads/views. I think my company can afford that traffic ;), in a future we might create a fund for paying hosting bills and organizing events but right now it is not necessary.

Akelos needs more advocacy support than monetary support right now.

•  
      CommentAuthorjanogarcia

Hi,

In addition to keeping the original videos hosted at amazon I would suggest uploading them to Viddler. It seems to fit the needs for higher resolution video streaming (file size limit 500MB, .avi .dv .mov .qt .mpg .mpg2 .mpeg2 .mpeg4 .mp4 .3gp .3g2 .asf .wmv .flv), besides adding useful features for collaborative work like these timeline functions: tagging, commenting, rating and video response

Useful / collaborative features Check the timeline comments

On-screen text is perfectly readable Check this one on full screen + original size mode

(Note: Sorry for showcasing another framework on the video examples. I have just happened across viddler while doing some research on that framework)

saludos

•  
      CommentAuthorjanogarcia

A rather comprehensive online video sharing quality comparison

After viewing short clips of each embedded video in a rapid comparison, I would say that the one from Viddler ranks very high, for sharpness and color accuracy, followed by Kewego and Blip, however none of the last two offers the powerful collaborative tools of Viddler.

•  
      CommentAuthorbermi

Jano, I'll have a look to Viddler in 15 days when I'll have DSL connection again. I will also upload a higher quality version of the screen-cast there.

Thanks for your suggestions.