Akelos Framework v1 forum archive. This forum is no longer maintained. To report bugs please visit https://github.com/akelos/akelos/issues
    • CommentAuthorrevmagi

Hello,
    I love php but found developing in Ruby fast. The problem with ruby and shared hosting platforms is the not being able to develope on the server and the overhead of fastcgi w/apache and just configuration on the clients shared server. I have checked out other applications but I really like the php4/5 compatability. I have been able to get the aleklos platform installed into a Plesk domain without issues and have everything working in just a few minutes.

My question to the community is this. Right now there is not much docs for general knowledge for Akelos and the information on the website shows that most things are direct ports of Ruby on Rails and that we should be able to pull much information from Ruby sources. This being the case, I pulled out one of my Ruby on Rails books, "Beginning Ruby on Rails E-Commerce"

Starting out is ok but then I get some issues with how Akelos, being php needs to have some syntax changes from the ruby.

in Ruby, like building a application.rhtml file for all views to share, there are a lot of <%= %> , I have seen this in the LXF article use <?= ?>
    I tried making these changes and got nothing but errors each way.

Could you please give some direction on what minor changes from Ruby Tutorials should be noted for change. I really like your platform and I hope other developers join in to help expand its offering quickly.

Regard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbermi

Hi Jamie,

Welcome to the forums!

You're right, most of Rails documentation can work for Akelos. Akelos API is a version of Rails API, so porting docs can be done easily.

Some docs have already been ported from the Ruby on Rails wiki to the Akelos PHP Framework wiki.

Regarding syntax changes, the only place where you can use some similar syntax is in the views, where you can use things like

<%= url_for :controller => 'post' %>

That is made possible by using a templating language named Sintags. Here you have some examples of Sintags Helpers vs. generated PHP code

You can have an idea of Akelos naming conventions by reading the coding guidelines for core developers, although is not an ideal for en users it might be a good start until we get more contributions on the wiki.

BTW, I'm working hard on building a quality Akelos API from the inline documentation.

• CommentAuthorrevmagi

Hello,

Thank you for your responce. I will do some more playing and working with some ruby tutorials to see how much I can learn that way. I am not a professional programmer. More of a programmer of needs. I am actually a Hosting System Administrator. I do have programmer friends around the world that I am trying to turn on to your framework. Thanks again for all your hard work and I hope others with more knowledge then I are able to join in and help.

Cheers