Akelos Framework v1 forum archive. This forum is no longer maintained. To report bugs please visit https://github.com/akelos/akelos/issues
    • CommentAuthorpweil

Would a more experienced programmer please explain how I can move a Finder method from a controller to its associated model? I've seen examples of this in Rails, but not in akelos/PHP. My inexperience with OOP in PHP has me stumped. Offering a simple example of the resulting code in both the controller and model would be great. Thank you.
    • CommentAuthorpweil

I found at least part of the answer on my own. Perhaps this will be helpful to other akelos newbies. Given controller "resource_controller.php" and mode 'resource.php', a simple Finder method can be placed in the model:

function myFind()
    {
    return $this->find('all');
    }

This can be called from a method in the controller:

function callmyFind
    {
    $this->resources = $this->Resource->myFind();
    }

This raises another question: how would one call the pagination helper in this situation? I've tried a number of variations, but I keep getting errors citing an undefined property or call to a member function on a non-object. Surely someone out there understands what kinds of syntax changes are needed to do this from within the model rather than the controller? thanks in advance.
    • CommentAuthorpweil

Ok, I think I solved this one too. Maybe there's a better way to do this, but I ended up passing the paginator_helper options to the model as a parameter:

In the controller:
    (pass the pagination options [a variable] as a parameter)

function gomodelFind()
    {
    $this->resource_pages = $this->pagination_helper->getPaginator($this->Resource, array('items_per_page' => 20));

$page_options = $this->pagination_helper->getFindOptions($this->Resource);

$this->resources = $this->Resource->modelFind($page_options);
    }

In the model:

function modelFind($var)
    {
    return $this->find('all', $var, array('order' => 'title ASC'));
    }

I hope this helps someone so they don't have to spend time figuring it out.
    • CommentAuthorpweil

Well, I spoke too soon. The pagination options don't come through, although no error is thrown. It keeps showing all of the records, even though it offers multiple pages. Anyone?