Akelos Framework v1 forum archive. This forum is no longer maintained. To report bugs please visit https://github.com/akelos/akelos/issues
    • CommentAuthorprtscr

Hi,

I run a Mac with MAMP. I've done everything as the readme and tutorial.markdown says. I've set up akelos_framework, akelos_framework_dev and akelos_framework_tests databases and have written an xxx_installer.php file. But when I run the ./script/migrate xxx install command I get this error:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) in 
    /Users/alfner/akelos_framework/vendor/adodb/drivers/adodb-mysql.inc.php on line 349
    Connection to the database failed. mysqlt://root:******@localhost/akelos_framework_dev

Thanks for any advice on this!

•  
      CommentAuthorbermi

It is possible that your MySQL server is not running on port 3306 (MySQL default port) but on MAMPs MySQL port 8889.

Try to change the port number or try specifying MAMPs socket directly with the option

'socket' => '/Applications/MAMP/tmp/mysql/mysql.sock'

• CommentAuthorprtscr

Valid point, but I acctually got my MAMP MySQL port on the (MySQL) default 3306.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbermi

Do you get the same error when using the socket option?

• CommentAuthorprtscr

How do I use the socket option?

•  
      CommentAuthorbermi

By adding the socket option in yout config/config.php file

$database_settings = array(
        'production' => array(
            'type' => 'mysql', 
            'socket' => '/Applications/MAMP/tmp/mysql/mysql.sock',
            'database_name' => 'my_db_name',
            'user' => 'root',
            'password' => '',
            'options' => '',
        ),
        // and all the other environment settings
    );

• CommentAuthorprtscr

Ahh, didn't understand where to put it first...

...I get the same error though:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) in
    /Users/alfner/akelos_framework/vendor/adodb/drivers/adodb-mysql.inc.php on line 349
    Connection to the database failed. mysqlt://root:******@localhost/akelos_framework_dev

•  
      CommentAuthorbermi

Can you check that

ls -al /var/mysql/mysql.soc*

points to MAMP socket?

/var/mysql/mysql.sock -> /Applications/MAMP/tmp/mysql/mysql.sock

Can you connect to the database using...?

/Applications/MAMP/Library/bin/mysql -uroot -pyourpass  yourdbname

• CommentAuthorprtscr

I don't know if I understood you right but when i run:

AlfredMacBookPro:~/akelos_framework alfner$ ls -al /Applications/MAMP/tmp/mysql/mysql.sock 

I get:

srwxrwxrwx   1 alfner  admin  0 Nov 16 21:28 /Applications/MAMP/tmp/mysql/mysql.sock

and I can't connect:

AlfredMacBookPro:~/akelos_framework alfner$ /Applications/MAMP/Library/bin/mysql -root -root akelos_framework_dev
    ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' to database 'akelos_framework_dev'

• CommentAuthorprtscr

Btw is there a way to reset a specific applications configuration? So that you can step through it again in your web browser?

•  
      CommentAuthorbermi

If you cant access with

/Applications/MAMP/Library/bin/mysql -uUSERNAME -pPASSWORD  DATABASENAME

there is no way you can access your database via PHP/Akelos unless you provide valid credentials

• CommentAuthorprtscr

Ahh i didn't get the -u and -p part. When i added that I was enable to connect.

AlfredMacBookPro:~/akelos_framework alfner$ /Applications/MAMP/Library/bin/mysql -uroot -proot akelos_framework_dev
    Reading table information for completion of table and column names
    You can turn off this feature to get a quicker startup with -A

Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
    Your MySQL connection id is 109
    Server version: 5.0.41 Source distribution

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.

mysql>

• CommentAuthorprtscr

I tried to move inside the application folder and run the command but it didn't make any difference:

AlfredMacBookPro:~/akelos_framework/peakhour alfner$     ./script/migrate Peakhour install
    Connection to the database failed. mysqlt://root:******@/peakhour_dev?socket=/Applications/MAMP/tmp/mysql/mysql.sock

But it's interesting that it first says "/var/mysql/mysql.sock" and then "/tmp/mysql/mysql.sock". Could that have anything to do with it not working?

•  
      CommentAuthorbermi

Can you connect to the database using other DB's like phpMyAdmin?

• CommentAuthorprtscr

Yes I create the databases with phpMyAdmin
    •  
      CommentAuthorbermi

What do you get with

ls -al /var/mysql/mysql.soc* 

it should be something like

/var/mysql/mysql.sock -> /Applications/MAMP/tmp/mysql/mysql.sock

BTW are you using a "+" or "@" in your password?

• CommentAuthorprtscr

Nope I don't get that "connection". How do I set that up?

AlfredMacBookPro:~/akelos_framework/peakhour alfner$ ls -al /var/mysql/mysql.soc* 
    ls: /var/mysql/mysql.soc*: No such file or directory

Nope my password is simply root on my development machine.

•  
      CommentAuthorbermi

Try with

sudo ln -s /Applications/MAMP/tmp/mysql/mysql.sock /var/mysql/mysql.sock

• CommentAuthorprtscr

Hmm, I get an error:

AlfredMacBookPro:~/akelos_framework/peakhour alfner$ sudo ln -s /Applications/MAMP/tmp/mysql/mysql.sock /var/mysql/mysql.sock

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
    or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
    typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:
    ln: /var/mysql/mysql.sock: No such file or directory'

Do I have to specify further where the /var/ folder is?

•  
      CommentAuthorbermi

/var/mysql/ should already exist in order to add a symlink inside that path

• CommentAuthorprtscr

Cool, now it works! Here's how I did it:

1. I pressed apple+ctrl+g to be able to go into the /var folder
    2. I created an folder namned /mysql
    3. I created the symlink
    4. And then it worked!

Thanks a lot for all the help!

•  
      CommentAuthorthynctank

Why does the 'socket' index of the different environment arrays not accomplish the socket setting properly? I have the latest svn checked out, and it respects my port setting (I too am running MAMP) but ignores my 'socket' as suggested by you, bermi, in one of the comments in this thread.

If I create a symlink all seems to be well, but this shouldn't be necessary. Especially when the symlink dies whenever you kill MAMP.
    • CommentAuthorVBharathi

Hi,
    I am working with winxp. i was download akelos_framework-0.8(2).But i confused how to install this into my system.
    Thanks for any advice on this!
    • CommentAuthorThijs

Maybe this helps ? : http://wiki.akelos.org/booklink-quickstart-on-windows

• CommentAuthortorkil

I just discovered Akelos and it seems very promising, but I must agree with thynctank: It's weird that the socket setting does not set correctly when you install. Kind of disappointing when you are first installing a framework that promises to be extremely easy.
    • CommentAuthortjr88

After messing around with this for hours there is a easy fix. In the db config file change local host to 127.0.0.1. Thats it! Make sure you do it for all 3 db conections.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOliver

I am using Akelos with MAMP on a Mac as well. But I get stuck with the setup of the databases, when following the instructions in the "Getting Started Tutorial". There it is stated, that for the DB-setup the following command should be executed:

./script/configure -i

Now this somehow does not work with my MAMP setup. I have MySQL running on Port 8889.

I do can access the database within Terminal - but during the Akelos DB-Setup, I receive the error "Could not connect to the database".

I tried to setup the Databases by hand (as described in the Booklink Tutorial) but no luck either. I assume, that Akelos does not get that I run the MAMP MySQL Server on Port 8889?

Thanks for your help.
    Oliver

•  
      CommentAuthorbermi

Did you set your 'port' option in config/database.yml file?

•  
      CommentAuthorOliver

Did you set your 'port' option in config/database.yml file?

The following workaround solved this issue for me (OS X 10.6 with MAMP v1.9):

1. Connect to the database using a MySQL-GUI such as YourSQL or Sequel Pro
    2. Create the 3 databases manually (mydatabase, mydatabase_test & mydatabase_dev)
    3. Point your Webbrowser to your project's website (f.eg. http://localhost:8888/myproject/)
    4. Continue/finish the setup in the Webbrowser

I updated the Wiki-Post for OS X accordinginly: Setting Up Akelos On Os X Snow Leopard#Hint